1. Ditch the make-up – well most of it. Begin to think internally. Cosmetics cover, but if you create a great exercise program with healthy eating I doubt you’ll wear much of any product. I adore the French for this very reason, their skincare starts with what they put in their bodies and it shows. What’s chic? A face that’s not loaded with every product from Sephora. Let your skin have a break, don’t wear foundation, tone it down and enhance your natural features instead of hiding them. You’re much more beautiful than you know!
Quick Tip: Drink water and lots of it. Result: Instant bronzer.
2. Adopt a minimalist wardrobe attitude – You can have a closet full of clothes but keep the outfits minimal. Wear prints, color and be expressive but its no fun looking like a Christmas tree. (Even if it’s the season) I love clean simple lines or a perfect belt with my favorite earrings. Enjoy your things but just don’t wear them all at once.
Quick tip: Adorn yourself but take Coco Chanel’s advice- remove one thing before you head out.
3. Don’t be so brand conscious – Don’t get me wrong, I love some of the big designer names but sometimes I like to splurge on a great accessory that doesn’t have a logo all over it. I’m paying for the beautiful craftsmanship and the world doesn’t have to know that I did. There are also really gorgeous things out there from less expensive brands and it’s a shame when people shun them because they don’t have a designer logo.
Quick Tip: I had a lovely J crew clutch monogrammed because what’s better than my own logo? Buy a simple clutch or shirt and have it embossed with your own monogram. Look at that, you’re your own brand.
4. Cut the chaos and eliminate drama – Enjoy the silence. You don’t always have to be so busy, just be on your own, read a book, lie in the tub with a rubber duck and some floating fish. Oh crap, I’ve said too much. Whatever, I love my bath friends. Silence makes you serene and when you’re peaceful you radiate that and you’ll look and feel healthier.
Quick Tip: Five minutes of meditation a day does wonders for the skin.
5. Don’t brush your hair – Appalling as this sounds, just try it. Let your tresses air dry naturally, scoop them up in a ponytail and leave the hairspray in the drawer. I can’t remember the last time that I put anything on my hair except a bobby pin.
Quick Tip: Invest in a good hairbrush or a wide tooth-comb – I’m not a hair expert but when I run a wide tooth comb through my locks after a shower, I never tangle.
6. Don’t put chemicals in your body – This goes for what you eat. I’ll think twice before I take an Advil. If I have a headache, I’ll ride it out. Your body has an amazing way of healing if you’ll let it. I used to run to the medicine cabinet constantly, now I simply listen to my body and it’s cues, usually feeling better in just a short time.
Quick Tip: If you’re craving junk eat some mint leaves, it won’t make you a rabbit but it will curb your hunger, eliminating unnecessary foods.
7. Refine your opinions – It isn’t always chic to want to prove a point, mainly because not everyone cares and when you go around force-feeding someone your point of view or dismissing other’s its negativity and we all know what that does for le visage. Keep some thoughts private. At a soirée it’s simply nice to listen because lets face it, not every single topic in life needs an opinion.
Quick Tip: Zip the lip and listen. Better to be a fly on the wall than a busybody bee.
All photos by Minelle Mir for Maison Minelle